Now With FlavorCrystals!

Thursday, November 03, 2005

When Bitches Attack II

So, back this summer when Ernest and Lisa got engaged, Ernest couldn't afford a ring. He begged his mom to help, and she gave him three loose family diamonds, which she then payed to have set in a setting from Tivol. He demanded that she overnight FedEx the ring to him so he could propose, and she did.

In my posts about our visit back in August, I mentioned that Lisa was not satisfied with her ring, and that we got in a little spat about the superficiality of big diamonds.

Anyway, our first evening in Vegas, Lisa comes up to me and says "how do you like my new ring?" She shows me her finger, which is encrusted with a huge bauble. I'm like, "it's okay, what happened to your old ring?" to which she replies "oh, we sold it to buy this one. I didn't want any part of the [Ian's family name] family legacy of dysfunction. Ernest and I want to start our own new legacy. I put $4000 of my own money into this ring, so it represents both of us, and what we're building together."

All righty then. Where to begin?

1. If a family member gives heritage diamonds as a gift, you do not pawn them when said family member is out of the country for a month. The proper, respectful thing to do, is to offer them back. no biggie if you don't want them/like them, but you don't freakin' sell them!
2. Ernest did not offer to pay his mother back for the setting she bought at Tivol either, and he owes her money from a previous loan still, so selling the family diamonds was not really an appropriate thing to do.
3. Lisa is about $20,000 in consumer credit card debt so she's not really in a position to pay $4000 of her own money on a ring. It had to be either more credit or, more likely "her" half was the half bought with the pawned diamonds.
4. I was raised not to talk about money in polite company, and, although I know how much my ring was appraised at, it's not something I would ever mention, especially first thing at a family dinner party for someone else's birthday. What a wierdo.
5. If she doesn't want any part of Ernest's family then why is she marrying him? Or bothering to show up for his dad's birthday party, other than to kiss his ass for some of his inheritance?

Now, I know some people will say a gift's a gift and you can do what you want with it. But heirloom jewelry from someone else's family is a different matter. The appropriate and thoughtful thing to have done would have been at least to talk to the Mom about it first, instead of doing it in secret while she's out of the country for the month.

So I know you're thinking, "yes this girl sounds like a low-rent bitch, but why the animosity. What did she ever do to you, EBeth?"

Here's a short highlighting of the week's snafus between us:
--she insulted me for wearing a family ring from Ian's family
--she mocked my laugh, then stood up at the dinner table and proceeded to pretend to "be" me, like some fourth grader, saying "I'm Elizabeth", etc. and walking around flouncing her hair, saying things I had said.
--she accused my weight loss on me being bulimic, then followed me to the bathroom all weekend trying to "catch me in the act", not even pretending to pee, just listening to me go.
--she actually said to my face "The ONLY reason Ian is with you is because you're just like [Ian's mother]. You're completely self centered and you think everything's about you."
--she kept trying to say these catty, mean things and then play it off like she was being nice. For example, after Ian's dad's birthday dinner she asked "So, Elizabeth, how did you like your first five course meal?" as if I had never had one before.
--when Ian's uncle complimented my sweater in front of her she said "I guess it's okay. . .if you're from the midwest. I mean, I would never wear it."

And on, and on, and on. I know you probably all think I've gone completely off the deep end, and am making all of this up, but scout's honor, she really does and says the most outrageous, outlandish things. I have had it.

Ian determined (not me) that she is off the guest list for the wedding. We just can't have her there, end of story. I know it's not really ettiquette, but I can't have someone who is this aggressively and outwardly mean to me there on what is supposedly the "happiest day of my life." I'll shoot her!

Now all that remains to be seen is if Ernest will come. More drama to soon unfold, I'm sure.

4 Comments:

Blogger wrmblnwrck said...

Are you sure you weren't driving that SUV? :)

Kudos for kicking her off the guest list.

And the crappiest thing is that those sorts of people are too stupid to be able to comprehend any sort of verbal retaliation.

2:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe that you have to deal with this woman, I mean ever.

Ditto on the kudos. You have to take care of yourself - and them maybe you won't be invited to their wedding...oh wait when's that again?! :) Did she seriously ask why you were waiting so long to get married and they haven't even set a date?! CRAZY I tell you.

I freaking laughed out loud after reading about Ernest's speech...how embarrassing for him!

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Shanshu said...

Holy hell, this sounds made up...which means it MUST be true because reality is crazier than fiction.

Damn, chica. Sorry to hear you have to put up with such a bitch from hell.

There's a woman in Jen's family that....um....everbody hates. We basically just ignore her as much as possible and run away when we see her coming into the room.

A sad, but necessary tactic to avoid peeling off our own faces while we're stuck "talking" with her for extended periods.

+3 Kudos for kicking her out of wedding. That will REALLY piss her off, and it's funny.

5:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

rich--you are right, whenever we try to "talk" they are too stupid to have a dialogue with. erin--my Mom says the true craziness is trying to deal with a crazy person as if they were sane. I expect craziness now. shan--you are such a sweetheart for dealing with jen's family--like ian's, there's a lot of "good" mixed in with the "bad", too.

6:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home