Post-Op Day #1
Well, I made it. Thanks for all your well-wishes. I wish I had funny or interesting things to blog about the surgery, but these are my only lasting impressions:
1. Everyone else there was 2 yrs. or younger.
2. I don't like the pre-surgery drugs they gave me. . .they made me too loopy to say a proper goodbye to Ian.
3. Taking my ring off was the scariest part--you can't wear any jewelry, period, and it felt really weird to have to take it off.
4. You can only have one person with you in the waiting room ahead of time and it was a duke-out between my Mom and Ian, since we're not technically married yet she still has a strong claim, and also, she's an RN so I like her to be there to make sure they don't cut off the wrong leg or something.
I actually felt okay for most of the day yesterday--zonked out on the anesthesia, but by last night suckville had started. There's pain, swelling, and I refuse to look inside my mouth. However, I can already tell my ears and throat are much clearer than they've been in years. I didn't realize it, but they took out my little dangly thing in my throat (Uvula?) and I can get such good breaths through my mouth now, which is a good thing considering I have splints in my nose and cannot breathe through it. I can already tell all this will have been worth it.
I like my pain meds but I only have them through today and then have to go on Tylenol. Seriously, I feel this is barbaric. I'm not going to get addicted, it's just really freakin' painful! I need to get some sleep!
If I end up throwing bricks through neighbors windows to steal stereos to score opiates, ya'all will know what happened to me. Charlie Parker got addicted to Heroine because he was in a bad auto accident as a high schooler and got hooked on Morphine, and went downhill from there.
Everyone acts like it's so great to be able to eat ice cream, but all I've had is ice chips, water, and popsicles--I lost four pounds of water weight and I can't seem to get anything else down. I keep swallowing blood so it makes me not so hungry and I can't taste anything either. Mom wants me to go try some tapioca pudding now.
I have watched more TV in the last 24 hours than I have in the last eight weeks put together.
My last pain meds were at 5 am so it's time for me to go get some more. Yay!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home