Now With FlavorCrystals!

Friday, September 30, 2005

Movie Madness


I'm so excited! A group of us are going to Serenity tonight (7:10 at the Plaza Palace if anyone wants to join) and I feel like I'm back in high school, taking up a row of seats at the good old Glenwood.

It brought back pleasant memories of seeing movies with a group of your friends so large and obnoxious that you can't help but annoy your fellow patrons. Who ARE those assholes anyway, and isn't it past their curfew?

So one time, we all went to see Waterworld. You know, the Kevin Costner oceanic Max-Mad epic? Hailed as one of the worst movies of all time? Actually, I didn't think it was all THAT bad, just bad for the amount of money they spent on it. Anyway, there must have been twenty of us, or more, because we literally filled an entire row in the center section of the Glenwood.

I've always loved seeing movies on opening night, in a large theater with a packed crowd. And I love the experience of all the previews, all of it. So I'm sitting next to Lindsay Owen and we're bullshitting during the previews, and she turns to me as the Universal logo comes up--you know, the big planet Earth as viewed from space? And she says to me, "wouldn't it be hilarious if they showed an animation of the polar ice caps melting and covering the Earth with water." We laughed for about two seconds and then it really happened--that's how the movie started.

We thought this was the funniest thing EVER. That's what happens when you're in high school--you think every joke you make is God's gift to comedy. Anyway, I'm surprised we didn't get kicked out we were creating such a disturbance, but I will never forget that joke. Looking back, Lindsay could have totally made a great comedy writer. But she's an English teacher, so there's writing involved!

Anyway, I hear Serenity features some sort of schtick with the Universal logo--it is a space flick, after all, so it seems like a natural flow. I'll let you know if it's as funny as the melting of the polar ice caps was back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home