Bright Spots, Low Spots
Life is full of ups and downs, not to sound too cliched. The thing is, I figure, to take it as it comes and a bunch of other trite nonsense. Case(s) in point:
1. I went to Bar Natasha last night. They have cabaret-style singing and piano playing and it's a big hangout for the local theater crowd, not to mention the G&L scene. So I sang two songs with the lovely and wonderful Marilyn on piano, and actually held my own. I won't open at Starlight anytime soon, but I did well enough to earn a spot Friday or Saturday night if I want to sing!
2. Then there's the matter of grad school. I applied in July for a program that doesn't cut off the deadline for spring admission until October 15. So they told me it would be a long while until I heard from them--the fall semester had to start, the professors had to get settled, and all eight committee members have to review my ap., one at a time. So everyone's been asking "have you heard anything yet?" all excited, of course, making me feel horrible that I haven't, and sure I won't get in. So I call back last week and ask the admin. what's the status of my ap. She said three committee members have seen it--the rest still have to review it, then they all get together to meet about all the candidates. So, basically sometime between a really freakin' long time and NEVER! I cannot wait.
3. Upside. I am reading The Historian, which has made me realize two things. I don't travel nearly enough (the characters in it spend their time traipsing about Europe), and Vampires are cool. Actually, I like the premise of the book which is the question, "does knowing more about history actually make us better, freer people, or can the past be like a vampire, sucking us dry and making it impossible for us to move forward?" I really like the ideas being explored in that (as a historian) and have been thinking lots of deep thoughts.
4. Downside. I, like many, long to shake off my corporate overlords. Thus, my eagerness to hear from graduate school. Things have rapidly escalated to the point where Ian was haranguing me to go in a quit today. Although I haven't yet reached that point, I did submit an application for another position, so wish me luck. Applying for jobs sucketh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home