SPOILERS: Half-Blood Prince Response #1
*SPOILER ALERT*
There you go, Eric!
SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN THIS POST . . .
So, I haven't fully digested the book yet, but I wanted to jot down some of my thoughts in review of the new book, so that it comes in bite-sized chunks instead of an insanely huge post.
1. Rowling is now using words such as "disabuse," "mullioned," and "portentously" in this book. Now, I know what these terms mean (even if I did have to check 'mullioned' on Webster's) but I doubt your average 4th grader does. Does anyone truly believe this is young adult literature anymore?
2. British words that I still need translated: "doss", "wotcher", and "lags." Also, the rude hand gesture Ron is frequently making. . .is that the good old middle finger (go, USA!) or the European, backwards-peace-sign-thingie?
3. Fred and George rock. They are now making weapons for the good guys. Unfortunately some are making their way into the wrong hands. Will we see more of Shield Charms? What will Harry do with the Decoy Detonators in the future? Will Fred and George become a target (just like we bomb weapons plants first in foreign nations?)
4. Trelawney is talking about leaving Hogwarts. Without Dumbledore, who will keep her from being captured by Lord Voldything and having her memory examined for the exact prophecy? I guess it's not like it matters too much anymore, anyway.
5. Maybe actually saying Lord Voldemort's name is akin to saying "Beetlejuice" or "Bloody Mary." Maybe it's not good to actually invoke his name--I just wondered, because we're always led to believe Harry is right for being brave enough to say it and everyone else is made to look ridiculous. But I think there are hints that maybe somehow saying his name could literally be dangerous. After all, this is the magical world, and words have power.
6. What will happen to Kreacher, Dobby and Winky? Will the house elves be liberated and help Harry overcome Lord Voldemort in a final battle? I'll bet Witherwings and Grawp would come in handy, too. There are an awful lot of characters we have lost track of. I wonder what they're up to?
7. This book had an awful lot of sex in it for a kids book, too. I mean, not literal sex, but the general atmosphere of raging hormones is definitely omnipresent. Harry will definitely get back with Ginny, probably right before the final standoff, and they'll team up together or something dramatic. My reasoning, other than the fact that it's a trite literary trope, is that the overarching theme of the books is that love is the most powerful form of magic. Harry's mom saved him with love. Slughorn calls the love potion the most powerful and dangerous potion in the room. Dumbledore repeatedly reinforces the idea that it is Harry's power to love that is the power prophesied that Lord Voldemort lacks.
Ultimately, I was hoping for a Hermione and Harry match, but I think it's clear that's not going to happen. It's just that, of course, I identify with Hermione (it being Ian's somewhat official nickname for me) and I can't stand Ron, the stupid prat. So the smarty pants sidekick gets stuck with the class clown, and the hero gets the spunky redhead. That's cool, too, I guess.

3 Comments:
1: No, but here's hoping it helps increase the vocabulary of our youth.
2: I know "wotcher", it's a greeting that is a Cockney-ified version of "what cheer". I had to look it up when I read the book.
3: I like how Harry is their financial backer, and has the perks to show for it.
4: She's always bugged me.
5: Good point. I always thought it was more that you gave the name Voldemort power by being so afraid of it. I'll have to reread to see what you mean.
6: I'd like to see a death match between Kreacher and Dobby.
7: It definately did. But at least it's somewhat realistic. You throw a bunch of 16 year olds together dorm-style where they're practically living together with no real adult supervision other than some 18 year olds, and you're going to get a LOT of sexual energy.
2:47 PM
Wow, I hope nobody reads this entry, who hasn't read the book yet.
heh
11:40 AM
If they haven't read it yet, they won't care enough to read an obsessively-detailed post about. It's been out since Saturday for goodness sake!
11:56 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home