Now With FlavorCrystals!

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Holiday Spirit

I finally thought of something that put me in the Holiday Spirit!

I loved Futurama. I thought it was vastly underrated. Several episodes, including the one about Atlanta, the one about Dr. Zoidberg's species' mating season, and the one about Christmas, still can make me laugh so hard my stomach hurts. The jokes fly fast a furious, and it's very rewarding on repeated viewings. I know a lot of people out there hate Futurama with a fiery passion so don't flame me, it's just a personal preference.

So, I was thinking about Christmas, and in an e-mail I typed "x-mas" to someone and it made me think of the Futurama Christmas episode "Xmas Story" where a character from our time has the following exchange with his "future" friends 1000 years from now:

Fry: Yeah, it really puts you in Christmas spirit.

Farnsworth: What-mas?

Fry: Christmas. You know? X-M-A-S.

Leela: Oh you mean Xmas. You must be using an archaic pronounciation. Like when you say "ask" instead of "ax."

I'm better now.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That scares me. Along those same lines...I think you will appreciate this horrible thing I heard on the local news:

On the scene newscaster: Ma'am how did you feel when you witnessed the shootings in the mall?

Woman who hangs out in malls: I was mortified!

Me: OMG!! Is the world coming to an end? Are people seriously just pulling random words out of the air that have NO relation to the situation except that they have the right number of syllables?!

I'm not going to get over this soon.

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Shanshu said...

Well, maybe bullets shame her and make her feel embarrassed? Maybe?

No. Not really. She's just lame.

12:31 PM

 
Blogger wrmblnwrck said...

That show was awesome. My two favorites was the one where they went back in time. Roswell that ends well. (no links cuz i'm lame)

Fry: "But...that will change history."

Farnsworth: "Ohh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa. I'm outta here. Screw history!"

And my other favorite is off of one of the Anthologies of Interest, where Fry asks the What-If machine something like 'what if life was a video game'

(From the command vessel of a fleet of Space Invader looking craft)
Lurr: "Drop down, increase speed, reverse direction!"

That was milk-through-the-nose funny. Ahh. good times.

7:05 AM

 
Blogger Shanshu said...

It sounds like I'm the only person who didn't find Futurama funny. I guess I can't be in the club.

8:50 AM

 
Blogger PJ said...

I thought it was pretty funny, though not very memorable.

I do remember one thing that made me spit up once. The crew was walking through some kind of space gym, and they walked by a girl (who you can only see from the waist up) reading a book, with this massive amount of weight being moved behind her. As they finish passing her, you see "Kegel-cizer".

Subtle. But very entertaining.

9:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home